Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Red Light District

From christinayoung.theworldrace.org
Have I told you yet that Kalzone and I work on the red light district?
Right in the middle of it.
Every night girls line the streets by the dozens. They stand outside "karaoke bars", "massage parlors", "cafes" or places labeled things that leave no mystery as to what their selling...
The girls are usually sitting in a chair, being looked over by a man of all nationalities, staring down at their laps or having their faces and hair checked over by (what I can only assume is) their pimp.




Most nights I want to pull over and ask them questions, why they're here, who they are, whats happen to them...
Maybe it's a blessing that language separates our lives. I'm sure the answers to these questions would cause more harm then good. 

"... 
I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.
 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry,whether living in plenty or in want. I can do ALL things through Christ..." Phil 4
I can feel my mind spreading thin with all the dreams of things I want to accomplish with I'm here...or in life.
The distraction of myself is still the greatest battle, trying to focus my mind to finish the goal that I started and not be swept away with the emotions that over power my passion at times. 

Thailand is full of so much life. So many good things. The wonderful aroma of food sizzling in the markets, tuk-tuk cabs rushing by, music from musicians hoping to make a few baht. Its all yours, how much can you take in?

But the underline deep depression...one that I feel in America at times. Is also very present. Lurking in the faces of the girls "selling flowers" on the streets. Lingering outside the bars that line the streets...following the men that walk in and out of them.

What must it feel like to loose your soul. To use money to buy a human. 

I heard
a story the other day of missionaries who had come to teach english to some hill tribe children in the mountains... Sounded similar to the work Kal and I are doing so my ears perked up!
To the twisting of my stomach the story unfolded into a horror tale of a man who had actually raised support to come to Chiang Mai to molest and rape children who spoke neither thai nor english...a sick, perfect plan. The Hill tribe people are not actual citizens of Thailand and therefore nothing can be done to the perpetrator or for the victims...

Or the story of the famous "trafficking ring" just north of here, where all the boarders meet. A woman sold her 2 day old baby to foreigner men trafficking children...the baby was sold for 5,000 baht....(roughly $150 dollars).


I wish we weren't so desensitized. I wish we could picture, in such a raw way what all of this actually means.

I'm encouraged by all the great work I do see happening here, and that God is raising up people all over to pursue their passions, whatever they may look like.
But this morning...my heart is heavy. My mind is tangled. And my arms feel weak... It's one of those days where you feel like, nothing could ever be enough.
That is why I am thankful that not only are mercy's new every morning, but also that, it is through the weak man the Lord finds His strength in us...

No comments:

Post a Comment