Thursday, August 8, 2013

Measured by Choices

We've all heard the quote: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

While this has become a favorite saying of mine, I feel that the way life is shifting and moving, (at warp speed I might add) that this quote has taken on deeper meaning and different wording in my life. This morning while reflecting on the past 4 years, thinking of all the places I've gone, people I've met, things I've lost, and experiences I've gained...I realized that I never really had moments where my breathe was taken away...but rather that the tiny, what seemed like, insignificant choices at the time, have made up where I am sitting now and are the "moments" worth remembering. I would say that, 'Life isn't measured by success and status, But by the decisions that we make and choices we choose. No matter how big or how small. The things you decide today will shape your future forever.' 

 I think if I had thought that way all along, I may have done things differently...but looking back I'm not sure I was suppose to be that "mature" in my way of thinking just yet...

It started with brokenness. Coming to the end of myself and needing to get out...In the beginning it was somewhere between the desire for attention and need for a change. But it became so much more then that. I remember perfectly clear the moment God showed up in their faces. That kind of perspective really changes a person. I became more broken that day then when I had originally started out. And you know what? It was beautiful.
But if I had never tried...If I hadn't made the choice to leave. If I hadn't been brave enough, even with, what was a selfish desire in the beginning. I would have missed out on so much.
You see, I think that christianity is so much more then what its become; I think we settle. I think that

"Christianity is being brave enough to let Christ live through you...Whatever that may look like, wherever that may take you..." 


And being bold enough, for whatever your reasons may be, to make that decision. It won't matter years from now if it was a stupid, embarrassing "dream" or a "I'm at the end of my rope" choice. Because the exquisite part about life and our relationship with God is that it shapes and molds us into so much more when we take that leap of faith.
I don't want to settle for ordinary... because Im not ordinary. The Christ through me makes me an extraordinary human-being. Made for extraordinary purpose.

I don't want moments to "take my breath away" I want to take a deep breath, look all around me and dive head first. I want to make choice to pick up my feet so that the Lord can move them. It's no one else's choice but my own. I want to be brave enough to make the decision to leave, whatever it is, behind.  I want to consciously loose my life to gain my soul.
Mark 8:35 

I leave in 3 weeks for Chiang Mai...Its not a long trip and I'm not really "giving up" anything that amounts to any real sacrifice. There are so many people today that I admire, people who have really given it all for the sake of the cross; Katie Davis (
http://kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com/), My dad Rob Hetrick (www.Hetrickpainting.com), Sarah Gardner (serving in the Middle East), Any and all YWAMers (www.YouthwithaMission.org), Sarah Pomeroy (www.RichmondJusticeInitiative.com), my Aunt and Uncle- Patty & Peter Ford who have been serving in regions of Africa since I can remember. The list goes on & on...These are the people who will "gain it all."
What have I really given up for the sake of the cross? For the sake of "The Good News"?  What choices am I making that will make THE difference in my future? 
Am I running fearlessly towards my passions, making the best choice based on discernment that I'm seeking out daily in my relationship with Christ? -> Or have I convinced myself that "this is enough."?
My hope is that we can all appreciate the different passions of others...I think sometimes we get swept up in the judgment that - because some peoples dreams don't look as humanitarian or successful as ours that they must not be happy, or must not be where the Lord wants them. Let me be clear; we are the hands and feet of Christ...how can I be the feet that go, if I don't have the hands that send?  
Be where your suppose to be.

I can't wait for this Fall! - To experience Christ through the Thai culture and live out my passion to be exactly where I am suppose to be.

I'm feeling so thankful and blessed for purpose this morning. Thanking God for all the relationships in my life and the support and encouragement of others who are also pursuing their dreams and passions.

Thailand count down: 25 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment